From 1 August the free TV licence for people over 75 will only be available for those who claim Pension Credit.
If you – or someone you know – might be missing out on extra money as well as well as being able to continue to get a free TV licence, now is a good time to claim.
You may be eligible, even if you own your home or have savings.
Pension Credit is a benefit for people over state pension age. It is extra money that could top up your retirement income and help with the cost of living.
People who receive Pension Credit can also get free dental treatment and possibly help with Council Tax, housing costs and heating bills.
You can apply by phoning the Government’s claim line on:
- 0800 99 1234 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 6pm) or
- Apply online
They will need to know some details about you to check whether you are eligible. Information you may need to hand includes:
- Your National Insurance number.
- Information about your income, savings and investment.
- Your bank account details.
Applications can also be made:
- by post: call the number above and ask them to send you an application form or you can download a copy from the website www.gov.uk/pension-credit
- by Textphone: 0800 169 0133
- using Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 99 1234 Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 6pm.